It's been a very productive few days, not just with gardening. I'm slightly knee deep (more like ankle deep now) in a redecorating project of the guest bed room. That is really in it's final stages, since everything has been painted, all that's left are the little accent parts: the night table that I'm stripping and repainting (hurray for chemical strippers!), the lamp I got from Salvation Army that I spray painted to match the sconces, buying a lamp shade for said lamp, buying outlets (the outlets in that room were black. And I have it on good authority, since we pulled off the cable connection cover, that the room was originally painted a light neon/pastel pink. I'm not a fan of how that room probably looked before the house was sold) and outlet covers, buying a fancy cover for the light switch and spray painting THAT to match the sconces and lamp, and putting on the drawer knobs that I am also spray painting to match. That's gonna be tomorrow.
But since I deemed this to be a blog primarily about gardening, I will now discuss gardening progress. And what progress it was!
Friday I cleaned out the raised bed that had been left behind by the previous owner. My guess is that it's about 5x5. I cleaned out the last of the weeds and worked in some manure/humus that I'd gotten from Lowes, so it would be ready for the onion sets that I bought. I also wanted to plant the last of my garlic, and try again with my spinach.
Like I said back in November when I was trying to grow anything and everything indoors, and bought a bunch of seeds that I couldn't plant yet, I did try to get some spinach started in a self-watering container, but those didn't even try to sprout. I'm a little dubious about it this time, but if it doesn't work, I'm going to just buy some transplants. Bryan's not a fan of spinach, so there's no point in growing a ton of it.
Then, today we made another raised bed. A few weeks ago, along with a rototiller from the 1950's, my parents gave Bryan and I some 8' long boards to load/unload the tiller with. This morning, we went over to his parents house and dug up a bunch of "virgin soil", loaded it in his dad's truck, they grabbed a 12' piece of scrap lumber they had, and brought it back to our house.
While they assembled it, I worked on cleaning out the 3 piles of dirt we found after getting rid of all the leaves. I haven't decided what exactly I'll do with those. Bryan's mom suggested vining crops, like melons. I have some zucchini growing, so I might put a couple of those plants there. Or I thought it would be good for potatoes/carrots/beets. We'll see. I might have gotten in over my head.
Here you can see the 3 dirt piles. I kinda wish there were about 7 more.
After that I planted 2 rows of garlic equaling almost 30 cloves, and 2 rows of spinach. Since those have to be spaced out more, I only planted 13 seeds in all.
Where to go from here? Guess we'll see. My plan is to plant several berry bushes (blue, black, rasp) along the fence (at least 2 of each for cross pollination), and then since it was such a good suggestion from Bryan's mom, I'm going to follow through with it: farther along the fence I'll plant my tomatoes, cucumbers and the pea and snap pea seeds I just bought at Home Depot tonight.
On my list of veggies left to plant are beets, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, various herbs, and strawberries. I bought some strawberry seeds last fall, but I'm half considering buying seedlings and scraping those seeds all together. Part of me feels like I need to give it a go anyway, especially considering I spent money on it....
Since it's raining tomorrow, I'm gonna work on redecorating things, so I won't have to think so much about how many/what/where/when to plant.