Sunday, March 13, 2011

Taters, et al

A new weekend, a new round of planting. I'm a little bit worried I might be a little bit behind; maybe I shouldn't have planted just seeds, but bought transplants. Or started them inside back in January....I don't think I have that much dedication.
Anyway, onto the lists. I'm good at lists. And this way I can keep a better record of what happens when.

Some of the herbs have started sprouting- Dill on the 10th, Parsley (sorta) on the 11th, Thyme on the 12th, Sweet Marjoram on the 13th. I say sorta because the parsley that I planted was from a Chia planter set/herb garden thing that Janice gave me. It comes with these soil sponges that you soak in water (hence, sponge, har har har) and then sprinkle the seeds on top. Seriously. I thought it was kind of weird, but I went with it. I mean, the company that can help me grow a Chia Sponge Bob should be able to help me grow herbs with their exclusive soil sponge, right? But really it looks kinda like the sprout is growing backwards, pushing out of the seed and the into the soil. I'm a little dubious as to how this will work well, but I'm willing to see what happens.

And then yesterday I took advantage of the lovely weather to plant in my new fangled raised bed:
2 Pontiac red potato sets
2 Russet potato sets
11 Beet seeds
9 Broccoli seeds
13 (? 12?) Carrot seeds
And then in one of the piles of dirt, the only one of the three that I could dig down more than 3" and not find clay, I planted 4 pea seeds and 4 snow pea seeds. I got some round cage supports, and more garden soil to put along the for planting of warm weather crops.

Taters!


See, boring. It's not going to be very exciting, I imagine, till things start sprouting (fingers crossed. I'm really nervous) and then I get to harvest them and make yummy food (Zucchini and carrot jam anyone? My bread maker has a jam setting!)

I guess the only other thing that is vaguely interesting is we...well, Bryan...got the water sprinkler set up. Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment