Monday, April 18, 2011

First fruits

I've got beans growing! They started about a week ago. Actually, I need to go through and document dates with my pictures that I've taken so I can get approximate growing times for next year. Clearly I started to early, but still, I'm excited. I want the weather to get much warmer so that I can plant them outdoors. 
The berry plants have been bought, and I'm hoping to get those into the ground next weekend, and the first week of May I'm gonna plant the tomatoes outside...cucumbers....squash......beans. We'll see. 
Everything has sprouted, except for my strawberry plants. 
I guess I should just get to my listing. This blog is slowly disintegrating into a list essentially anyway. There's so much to list now! (And I'm still wanting to grow more) Maybe I'll start writing about all the stuff I'm doing. 

4.5.11~ At some point, probably a week before (?) buds started showing, the first picture that I have shows those buds flowering is around 4.15.11. I'm irritated that I didn't document this better, but it seems to take about 2 1/2 months from seeds to flowering. 
4.5.11~ The cucumbers start sending out suckers. 
4.7.11~ Beans flowered
4.11.11~ Beans started growing fruits!

I'm really not sure at all about the outside stuff. 
I planted one of the strawberry plants and some lettuce pellets maybe 1 1/2 weeks ago, around the same time the beans and squash flowers started showing up. The I noticed lettuce sprouts a couple days ago, we'll say on the 15th-ish. 
And I planted some strawberry seeds, those took about 2 weeks to sprout. 
I still can't tell if my spinach has sprouted, there's a lot of little weeds coming up in that bed, and I don't really want to start pulling them out if I'm not positive what they are. All my potatoes have sent up greens, but that definitely took at least two to three weeks. 
I'm also almost positive that at least some of my beets, broccoli and carrots have sprouted, but not sure how many considering there a bunch of small weeds, and for some reason it looks like I've only gotten seed in the "back" (being edge closest to the fence) half of the raised bed. Cindy wants me to have the boys put in another bed. Bryan suggested in the fenced in area so the deer don't get to it; I would love that!
Lastly, my peas and snap peas have sprouted, that took a while, but they're growing really well now. I even tied a couple of the pea sprouts (and suckers have formed on the peas only....in the last few days) to a pole. Out of the 4 seeds I planted of each kind, only three sprouted. And of my three pea plants that were coming up, one vanished. Not sure if was eaten by a deer or not (I've started spraying the deer and rabbit deterrent.)

And that's about it. And now for some uninterestingly placed pictures. 








No comments:

Post a Comment