Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Update

It's been a week since I posted. I think that's a reasonable amount of time to go between posts. I've made comments/notes in my notebook all week. I also want to do better at posting pictures so I can see the changes. This is about half of my garden. Those beds are about twice as long as you see here (12 feet)


The garden is kind of a mish-mash of beds/containers
 I was worried that I'd gotten behind on my planting compared to B's mom. We were there last weekend and her peas were flowering. Mine started flowering 2 days ago, so not too bad.

Artistic picture of the peas with azaleas. 
Flowers are pretty













I planted a few more seeds in this barrel to help fill in the peas and to be  sort of a successive planting; however,  there's about a 6 week difference  between the two. Oh well.





My potato experiment of planting them in laundry baskets seems to be going ok, except I'm dumb and should've lined them with some hay first. But they're growing. I lose a little bit of soil each time I water, but if it gets really bad then I'll put some more on top- essentially hilling them.  
Look at that brave little sprout poking out the side 
The red potatoes (front) are doing significantly better than the russet (back).
The russet took 6 weeks before it gave me any greens. 

My pride and joy this summer are my broccoli plants. I tried to grow them from seed but they didn't work out too well. I think I need to invest in some grow lights and a cat free area. Last year my direct sow seeds didn't do anything. I guess that's why I'm so in love with these broccoli and keep taking pictures of them. 
 I learned today that Packman broccoli gets to be about 2-3 feet high and 1- 1.5 feet wide; the heads grow to about 10 inches. And that one down in the right corner already has side shoots growing!

I want to believe that I'm going to have tons of strawberries this year. But I'll probably need to buy some more plants. I've got three going really well now. 

Carrots! I wish I'd planted more rows.
Now that I'm done thinning the
seedlings, I feel like there aren't
that many at all. 


I planted 3 tomatoes: Amish Paste, Big Mama Hybrid and Health Kick (a Burpee exclusive. It's supposed to have more lycopene, or something like that) in the top left corner is a sweet bell pepper and in the container is one of 2 citronella plant's from one of B's coworkers. 

 On a whim I planted some of the tendergreen bush bean seeds I bought last year, and those are the sprouts on the right of the bottom photo. Then I planted some Kentucky Wonder pole beans, which are the sprouts on the left of the bottom photo and in this small one on the right. The tendergreen has germinated pretty well, I think out of 10 seeds planted, maybe 5 of them have sprouted. And just to be on the safe side, I planted another bush bean seed in the rows with them- to fill it out. I've also got wax bean seeds next to my broccoli, but they don't seem to feel like sprouting......
Eeeeeeee! Look at my broccoli in the background!!!!!!
My mystery snow/snap peas have flowered too, and have nearly doubled their height in 2 weeks. I planted a few more seeds next to them, but like the peas, there's about a 6 week difference. 


















And finally, the herb garden. I need to find a more permanent solution but they're so pretty sitting on that little table! So many things I want to do with this garden.


2 comments:

  1. I love the variety of containers and methods that you are using for your garden! I'm a novice vegetable gardener who is always looking for advice and inspiration... I look forward to following your blog and wish you the best of luck with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep buying containers because I keep buying "just one more plant". I should just build a couple more beds, really. And I really enjoy reading your blog too :)

      Delete