Monday, June 11, 2012

Harvest Monday 6.11.12

Small harvests this week- the cool season veggies are done and the warm season veggies are just getting started. I need to get better with succession planting. 


I picked a small handful of bush beans. The wax beans aren't big enough eat, and there's only a few so far. Tons of flowers, though. 


The pole beans are flowering, so we'll have some of those soon. 


I cut the basil plants that I bought down so that they would start to fill out. Not enough yet to make pesto, so I've just been randomly adding basil leaves to food. The last time it was on dill and lime salmon with pasta. 


Pulled up the last of the carrots



And dug out all of the red potatoes. It's a small harvest, but I don't have a whole lot of space for planting. The russet potatoes are still growing. Even at 29, it's EXTREMELY satisfying to dig around in the dirt with your hands and come up with some buried treasure. :) But I do think my laundry basket experiment went well. 
Go visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting.


8 comments:

  1. Geesh. Everyone is pulling spuds. :) I'm trying to hold out for bigger ones....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm letting the russet potatoes grow a little bit longer, but my red potato plant/leaves things just looked so sad and dry that I felt like I had to pull them out. :( I was hoping to wait a little longer.

      Delete
  2. Great harvest. Our carrots are no bigger than a pencil right now. I guess we'll have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a hard time with carrots last year. When I finally decided to pull them out, they were maybe an inch long? Hopefully yours are ready soon!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking stuff this week; I too need to get better about succession planting! I'm trying to work on a spread sheet to help me do that, but there just aren't enough hours in a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm too sporadic with my planting and don't plan enough- even when I promise myself I will. "Oh, there's an open space here now? Well, what haven't I planted in a while? I know, it's been 6 weeks since I started any cucumbers, so why not those?!" Haha.

      Delete