Monday, June 4, 2012

Harvest Monday 6.4.12

Nothing much exciting to report this harvest Monday. I'd forgotten that I'd collected some the last of the peas and some snow peas earlier this week, and I decided to pull up a few more carrots. I really REALLY want to pull them out and plant something else there....just to plant something else. I'm going to have squash popping up all over the garden.
Anyway, so I pulled out the carrots and then decided to include the peas in my harvest. I vacuum sealed the snow peas, and I'm going to steam the carrots/peas for dinner tomorrow. It's just the two of us, so my meager portions are just enough. But next year. NEXT YEAR will be my year. (haha)


Dinner, yum. And maybe one day I'll be pureeing it for babies? 

I bought a fungicide- and used the whole bottle on my tomatoes. Well, it said that I should spray them till it runs off, which I assume means that I needed to completely cover it, and for it to work it needs to get into every nook and cranny. Also I figured since it was a preventative spray also (3 in 1 for fungus and bugs) I would just spray all of my tomatoes. I found evidence of the early blight on almost all of the tomatoes in the bed (3 of them are in planters) And I wish I could get a good picture of the Big Mama, because it looks so scrawny with having all of it's branches pulled off.
I wondered if the blight had attacked my potatoes too, but I think they're still dealing with having been so dry. I hilled the potatoes again yesterday. Also yesterday I planted some basil transplants and seeds, some more zucchini and regular slicing cucumbers and I'm attempting a mini experiment with spinach, radishes and rhubarb. 
I know- why am I talking about those in June? Well, I figure it couldn't hurt to try. And if nothing grows now, well then I have these nice 24" window sill planters all ready to start a fall harvest for them in August. (If it makes it better the planters have been sitting in the shed since last winter; that November I decided that I wanted to be a gardener and would grow spinach indoors.)
I feel like everything is in hiatus- not beginning but not quite finished.

Anyway, this last picture is more to show an irritation than anything else- we had a really big storm a couple of days ago. When I went out the next morning, most everything looked pretty happy that it had rained. When I checked on my lemon cukes, squash and zukes that had been in a container, they were practically floating in the soil. I ended up turning the containers on their sides so they would drain and hopefully not drown the plants. It was a LOT of water. But, the plants don't seem any worse for the wear. They almost seem bigger, in fact.

I'm sure you can find much more interesting harvests than I have to offer this time at Daphne's Dandelions




8 comments:

  1. I hope you have better luck with the basil than I have this year. It keeps flowering! I don't know if it's because I wait too long to transplant it or if I'm stressing it out somehow. Smells great but I want it to grow big and strong before it flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for the seeds to sprout, but they were at least a year old, so I'm not expecting much! Good luck with yours :)

      Delete
  2. I planted 3 long rows of peas and only about 5 plants came up and have had trouble with summer squash coming up which is strange as my winter and pumpkins came right up, could be seed I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so frustrating! I had that problem with peas last year. I put them in a different spot this year, so I think that's why they've done better. Although I often end up underestimating how much they'll produce. Next year, I will have peas EVERYWHERE, haha.

      Delete
  3. Your carrots look great! I need to try growing those again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much more wonderful would it be to grow the produce that is pureed for the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the reasons I started gardening. Now if the BF will propose.....
      His mom always had a garden growing up to offset her being a stay at home mom, and I've been using her as my gardening coach. I'm hoping I'll be able to do something like that, so I need to start building my skill set now!

      Delete