Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

I've never eaten rhubarb before, or (obviously) strawberry-rhubarb pie. But I keep seeing people talking about/making them, and since I decided that I wanted to try and grow some in a little experiment, I figured I should try some first. That and I'm always up for a good baking session.
I got the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. The sweet cherry pie that I make is her recipe too.

Ingredients gathered. This was the first time I've used my Kitchen Aide to make the crust. Yet again I'm reminded how much I love that thing.

The recipe called for 3 1/2 cups of rhubarb. I ended up with about 4 1/2; the stalks that I got from the store were much bigger than I was expecting. 

Sugar, sugar and tapioca. This is also the first time I've used tapioca as a thickener. I usually use cornstarch or flour. 

I <3 stars. 

Look at all that yummy pie goodness. I ended up having to scoop out some of the filling because it was a little too full. All that means is I'm going to have to make a mini pie later. 

Freshly baked deliciousness. I haven't tried it yet because it's still cooling. 

Anyway, I guess it's not really garden related because I bought the rhubarb and strawberries at the store. I'm ok with that. But as a quick update:

-I finally pulled the peas out, and instead of putting the zukes there, I decided to plant the random pack of soybean seeds that I bought earlier this year. Honestly I'd forgotten I had them. I used the whole pack, but since that was only like 30 seeds, I don't think it's too much.
-The zucchini finally has fully formed flowers, so hopefully the bees are helping them get their pollinate on.
-Spotted tiny flowers on the lemon cukes (planted May 11th) and the first planting of cantelope (planted May 13th).
-The chocolate cherry looks like it will be the first to ripen, I think I saw a hint of color taking over the green. It was a Home Depot transplant that flowered on May 7th, and the first tom started peeking out on the 22nd. Most of the info I've found on them says they mature about 70 days from transplant, so that should be soon. And one seed company said that they grow about 5-6 feet high and 3 feet wide. Well, mine is mayyyyyyyyyybe 2 feet high? And a foot wide? Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I have also never tasted rhubarb! I love strawberry pie so much I just cannot bring myself to alter it in any way. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful! But I didn't let it completely cool so it was kinda juicy, haha.

    ReplyDelete