Monday, July 9, 2012

Harvest Monday 7.9.12

It's been a busy day today, and I'm doing a short post so that I can get started on the laundry soon. So, harvests: 

Two zucchini which were made into zucchini bread muffins, some more beans- the bush beans are about done, and I'm going to pull them out soon. The wax beans are going to finish in the next couple of weeks, and the pole beans are sort of in between. I've got a second planting of wax and bush beans that are just starting to form their fruit. A few more Husky Red cherry tomatoes. I think there were actually 5 or 6 total this week, but I've been snatching them when I walk through the kitchen. Lastly I finally harvested the first lemon cucumber. 


I kept staring at the skin. Isn't it cool looking? Kind of yellow/translucent/pearly. I picked it also because I wasn't sure how big they got before they were ripe, since this is my first time growing them. This one was perfect. I don't know how accurate it is, but last year I based my cuke ripeness on when they weren't very prickly. This one didn't stab me much, and it felt a tiny bit squishy. (Again, I'm sure that's not a super accurate way to tell)


Of course I chopped it up and ate it right away. Very tasty. And I think perfectly ripe. And I really like how it made the slices look like flowers. Maybe I could sell them to Edible Arrangements? Although chocolate dipped cucumber slices might not be such a big seller. 


The regular cucumbers are getting bigger. This one literally grew about 5 inches overnight. I'm going to make pickles this summer. I actually don't like pickles, but I wonder if that's just because they're from the store. I like vinegar on things, I love pickled beets, but for some reason I don't like pickled cukes. And I'm not even one of those people who says, well, I only like sweet pickles, or I only like dill pickles. Nope. None. But I realized after canning some beets with C that they taste MUCH different from any other time I've eaten them. So maybe since the pickles will taste different, I'll like them. 


And last but not least, the ongoing squirrel saga. I put up tulle around the bird netting. I haven't seen any signs of them trying to get in/digging/gnawing holes...yet. I'm pretty sure they're up in the trees looking at this saying "Challenge accepted". I guess if this doesn't work I'll have to put up chicken wire cages or something. 
I guess that was longer than I was expecting. Oh well. Onto the laundry now. Go check out the other harvests at Daphne's

2 comments:

  1. Your vegetables are looking good. I am lucky not to have squirrels, here is a solution that you can rig up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything is looking great. My solution to squirrels is trap them out. Also trying to get to the produce one step ahead of them.

    ReplyDelete