Saturday, July 14, 2012

Put 'Em Up

It's been a productive day. (We're normally pretty lazy on the weekends, aside from easy chores) B and I finally went out and got some estimates to have the carpet replaced downstairs. I'm excited about it, especially because the carpet we have now looks horrible- I think this house may have been more on the fixer-uper side when he bought it. We're going to have them install it in August. 
As for the garden, the tulle and netting has definitely been helping, and thank you guys for your suggestions! I've finally started bringing in ripe tomatoes, and the cukes are coming in fast, so I thought (also I was getting impatient) I would try to make some spaghetti sauce, and then since I'd just picked a decent amount of beans I wanted to try dilly beans. 
I wanted to make a small amount because I don't normally like pickles, but I thought that I might like homemade pickles. I base this on the fact that I love pickled beets, but so far the home pickled ones that I've eaten I didn't like, and I thought they tasted different than the ones I get from the store that I DO like. So maybe in a weird way the reverse will be true, thus, only one small jar of fridge pickles for me. B doesn't like pickles. Or vinegar for that matter. 


And I made only one batch of dilly beans because A) I've never had them before and B) I only had enough beans to make one pint jar worth. 


So I guess we'll find out tomorrow!


As for the spaghetti sauce, I think I had maybe 2lbs of tomatoes? I made up my own recipe; from the garden I used the tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic and squash. Yes, squash. (That's why it looks orange-y) The BF doesn't like squash, so I sneak it into things. I pureed the two small ones I picked this week and added them in. It was probably too much, but I'm ok with that. So anyway, I sauteed the spices, garlic, onions and some olive oil, and then pureed it a bit with the squash. Once the tomatoes had cooked down I added that in.


They are in jars but I didn't process them at all. Two of the 3 went into the freezer, the third I'm going to use for dinner tomorrow. 


So there you go! 3 jars of sauce, 1 jar of dilly beans and 1 jar of pickles. 


In keeping with the homemaking theme of the day, I finished making a dress that I started earlier this week, and started sewing a set of pot holders that I promised the BFF last year. She's out in Iowa going to school, so naturally potholders are what will most benefit her. And then, because I'd seen the recipe earlier in the Kitchen Aid booklet, I finally made 2 loaves of honey-oatmeal bread. Oh, it's so delicious.


This is the first time I've ever made bread by hand. I have a bread maker but I don't think that really counts, and I remember my dad and I making sourdough bread once, but I didn't do much, since I was probably about 5 or 6 at the time. B and I have already eaten half a loaf. I tried to convince him that he should let me quit my job so I could just stay home and bake bread all day, but he wouldn't bite. 


And lastly, what better way to end a post than with a snuggly kitten? This is Gillian, (who is also called Tiny Kitten, Little Tiny and Tiny Angel) B and I adopted her and her sister, Squeak, from B's uncle when they were babies. They weren't getting enough food from their mama, so despite being 2 years old, she is still pretty little. Gillian is technically my cat, and Squeak is B's- I hadn't moved in yet when we adopted them. Anyway, I chose Gillian out of the litter because when we first went to see them she curled up in my hand and promptly fell asleep. How could I not choose her?? And she has been our rag-doll-violently-affectionate-you-must-cuddle-with-me-or-else kitten ever since. No lie, as soon as you get in bed she's crawling onto your chest. Such a sweet kitten. 


1 comment:

  1. I have never had dilly beans, they sound good. We made pickled beets yesterday and canned them. I don't remember the ones in the store but I suspect that they put in extra sugar or corn syrup. We just use typical recipes that you get out of cook books, they are all about the same only we didn't add onions as we just never had done it but it probably would be good.

    ReplyDelete