Monday, August 6, 2012

Failures

I'm pouting. And I'm whining.
I feel like I've ruined everything in this garden, so I'm refusing to see all the good things that happened/grew and just focus on the....few things that I messed up.
Its been a busy week, a busy weekend, and another busy start to the week, and with the heat persisting I just don't feel like doing anything. And we've had an unexpected house guest due to family frustrations in B's family.
The two melons that I'd been proudly displaying decided they were done growing. One had already detached from the vine and smelled musky, and the other one I picked it up to check and it came right off too. I tried the first one- this one had cracked, but I figured it was worth a shot. Big fat NOPE. The seeds were swimming in melon-y water and when I tried to eat it, the fruit tasted watery and mealy. I just figured maybe that was because it had cracked open. I tried the other one, only to find the same thing.
My guess is it's from over watering?
And then C gave me a bunch of concord grapes from her garden, the last of her harvest, to make grape jelly with. At first I was gonna just make jam with my super fancy bread maker, but she made it sound so easy. And then I found an easy recipe for it using sugar instead of Sure Jell (because I didn't feel like going to the store. And this wasn't just a recipe online, it was in a canning and preserving book.) Well, the juice boiled over while I was putting the dishes in the washer. Then I figured, well, it got to boiling obviously, so I'm going to go ahead and can it. I think it actually needs to boil for a little bit, instead of being yanked off the stove to sit on top of the sink. Either way, I ended up with 3 half pints and one pint of grape syrup.
My squash all has SVB. Well, all but one. But the bees aren't getting out to that one to fertilize it since it's in a different bed.

I should focus on the positives: I got another good bean harvest. Even though I don't like pickles, I can still eat the cucumbers. The carrots, spinach, broccoli and rhubarb I planted for a fall garden have sprouted and are doing ok, I think. I'm going to have soybeans soon. Even though it's not as much as I wanted, I have lots of food put up.
I was so excited to start my garden this year because I was convinced I was going to do leaps and bounds better than last year. And you know what, I did. And I forget sometimes that even though it wasn't 100% perfect like I wanted, it will never be 100%, I've learned a ton of things, and I get to try again (and do better) next year.
Most things are getting pulled out this weekend, and I'm going to start planting my fall seeds: cauliflower, kale, peas and beets, along with what I've already got going: the carrots, spinach, broccoli and rhubarb. And I've also decided I'm not going to grow herbs next year except for basil. I never really kept up with them this year, and I had to save them from near death with frantic waterings.
But I still want to pout a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you are bummed about the garden. You have done so much better than I did my first year gardening, heck better than my first few years.

    If I remember correctly we are both in the Carolinas. A word of caution about starting fall seeds outdoors. I have always found that the pest pressure is so high right now that young seedling get eaten. I start inside and them plant out in about 6-8 weeks depending on when we drop below the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is disheartening when you are trying so hard but it is great that you got some harvest :)
    I was not able to have a garden at all this year because I broke my leg. I had been really excited to get in there and learn this year but had to opt for putting a few container plants on my porch for easy access. They did well at first but every tomatoe seems to just split open and I didn't get but a few anyways. Hopefully I do better next year!

    ReplyDelete