Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Meanwhile, on the east coast...

So let me start off by saying, Northern California is my new favorite place. So insanely gorgeous, and in such a different way from the east coast. We found this mountain lake, and the water looked like it belonged on a tropical beach. 




Paradise. 

So, back to harvest Monday that's really two days late. I'm overrun with cucumbers, and unfortunately because I don't like pickles, and B doesn't like pickles, I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to put them up. But luckily lots of other people like pickles, so I've just been making them and giving the jars away. 




This was the harvest after I got back. The BF did a very good job of keeping it watered. I'm swimming in squash now too. Tonight I pureed it all and froze it to add to dinners, or maybe make some squash bread. Can you do that? Squash bread instead of zucchini? And those freaking cukes are giant- longer than my forearm. I forgot to take pictures from yesterday, but it was a few more lemon cukes, a good harvest of beans and another cucumber. 


Today all I picked was more basil and made pesto with almonds this time. 


Look at all that beautiful basil. You can see in the bottom right picture the older plants and then the 2nd planting of seeds. I may have been a little overzealous with the sprinkling. 



Rhubarb experiment. They're doing better than I expected. 


And in this planter I put a second planting of rhubarb and some spinach for the beginnings of a fall garden. Burpee just sent my seeds that I ordered today because they were doing inventory, so I'm going to get those planted this weekend. Its starting to cool off a bit, and hopefully it will stay under 100 degrees from now on. 


Slowly but surely for the melons. I discovered another one that had started forming the netting.  


My second planting of squash. They've been putting out some nice big fruits. 


Another view of the squash


The soybeans started growing the pods while I was gone. 


The beans have started producing more fruits now that the temps have dropped, so I was able to get a really big harvest yesterday which I froze today and then I think I'll get another good size tomorrow. 


Giant cucumbers. 


That giant mass are my tomatoes. They've started growing new ones, but it really just kind of looks like a tomato jungle forest type thing. 


Another zuke. I took it from far away so you could see how big it is. 


This is the other side, along with two other zukes that I'm hoping I can sneak in before it gets too cold. I've also got more carrots growing in that big open space. 


This is not my year for peppers. In that picture above with the zukes, you can see the one I transplanted almost 3 months ago, and it's not doing much. I saw some teeny, tiny flower buds starting, but I can't find them now. And for the last month all the peppers on the gypsy pepper have been getting these soft, mushy brown spots. I don't know if it's blossom end rot or sun scald. 


I can't win. 


I think the pepper looks pretty bushy, so I'm not totally convinced that it's sun scald. 


Ladybug! Too bad it's not a real one that can eat up some pests. I lost one older zuke to SVB. Another one has been gnawed on pretty badly as well, but it has two big zukes growing so I'm hoping those will mature before the plant completely kicks the bucket. 


More melon plants. They're a few weeks behind the other ones but it finally has some fruits growing. 


Last but not least, one of my Home Depot strawberry plants and my broccoli seedlings. 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the cukes. I finally pulled ours because I had so many I just started feeding them to the worms. There are only so many pickles my family will eat.

    ReplyDelete